Job title: Analyst
Company: Valens Global
Job duration: Full-time
Location: DC strongly preferred, but teleworking is a possibility for the right candidate
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
Deadline: On a rolling basis
About Valens Global:
Valens Global is a private firm that focuses on understanding the challenges posed by terrorist groups and other violent non-state actors, and helping clients fashion creative solutions that can save lives and protect interests. Valens is a young organization that is designed to embody principles of innovation and adaptability: It is self-consciously a start-up firm and is not afraid to think differently. We believe that the world’s growing sub-state threats require a fiercely independent approach, rigor, and creativity. We have repeatedly challenged the field’s conventional wisdom, and have emerged with a strong track record.
Valens fosters an intellectually vibrant climate that emphasizes teamwork, transparency, meritocracy, accountability, and empowerment at junior levels. But above all else, we produce quality work. We are proud of our record of delivering products that exceed our clients’ expectations and stand the test of time. At Valens, you would be part of a smart, talented, and confident team of people with interesting and diverse backgrounds, experiences, and outlooks. We think Valens is a great place to work, and we believe that you will, too.
Valens Global boasts a stable of clients with whom we love to work and are proud to associate. These clients include U.S. government agencies, tech firms, oil and gas companies, academic institutions, think tanks, and a host of others who need to better understand how violent non-state actors are changing the world—and how to safeguard their interests, assets, personnel, and values in light of these challenges.
Valens Global is looking for an analyst who will work with the Analysis Division. Tasks performed may include conducting research, preparing written reports, managing projects, and briefing clients. The Analyst position provides researchers with a considerable amount of responsibility and autonomy. Candidates should be prepared to contribute immediately to the research team, and should be able to take the lead on a variety of research projects. Consistent with Valens Global’s organizational philosophy, analysts are encouraged to challenge conventional wisdom, critically analyze existing problems, and come up with new solutions to old problems.
- Produce polished, well-organized, and thoughtful reports.
- Act as the final editor of reports, and review drafts that were developed by someone else on the team.
- Conduct research consulting a wide range of open-source materials, including primary and secondary sources and social media data.
- Be a creative thinker and brainstorm different proposal ideas with the team.
- Manage projects and interns, as well as relationships with clients.
- Deep familiarity with topics related to violent non-state actors, countering violent extremism (CVE), and the global jihadist movement.
- Demonstrated experience working in research.
- Strong critical thinking and analytic skills.
- Strong writing and editing capabilities—able to write for both academics and practitioners.
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication, organization, and working as part of a team.
- Organized and comfortable managing others.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working as a researcher on issues related to international politics or security.
- Experience conducting research in any of the following regions: the Middle East, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Africa and/or South, Southeast, and Central Asia.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting quantitative political science research is desired.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- At least two, and preferably three, references. Note: We are not looking for letters of recommendation, but rather people willing to serve as a reference for your qualifications who would be happy to talk to us about your candidacy.
- Two writing samples. One should be brief (5 pages or less) and display the applicant’s ability to convey complicated information concisely and clearly. The second sample should be longer (at least 10 pages) to showcase the applicant’s ability to conduct in-depth, nuanced research. Both samples should include all relevant footnotes or citations.
- Unofficial transcript copy.
Prospective candidates will be asked to complete a skills test prior to hiring.
Please send all application materials in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Valens Global LLC is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation benefits, social and recreational programs, and all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.