Job title: Associate (Business Development)
Company: Valens Global, http://www.valensglobal.com
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Valens Global is a private firm that is focused on understanding the challenges posed by terrorist groups and other violent non-state actors, and helping clients fashion creative solutions that can save lives and protect their interests. Valens is a young organization that is designed to embody principles of innovation and adaptability: It is self-consciously a start-up firm, and is not afraid to think differently. We believe that the world’s growing sub-state threats require a fiercely independent approach, rigor, and creativity. We have repeatedly challenged the field’s conventional wisdom, and have emerged with a strong track record.
Valens fosters an intellectually vibrant climate that emphasizes teamwork, transparency, meritocracy, accountability, and empowerment at junior levels. But above all else, we produce quality work. We are proud of our record of delivering products that exceed our clients’ expectations, and stand the test of time. At Valens, you would be part of a smart, talented, and confident team of people with interesting and diverse backgrounds, experiences, and outlooks. We think Valens is a great place to work, and we believe that you will too.
Valens Global boasts a stable of clients with whom we love to work, and are proud to associate. They include U.S. government agencies, tech firms, oil and gas companies, academic institutions, think tanks, and a host of others who need to better understand how violent non-state actors are changing the world—and how to safeguard their interests, assets, personnel, and values in light of these challenges.
Valens Global is looking for an Associate who will work in our Business Development division. The Associate will be responsible for identifying, qualifying, and securing new business opportunities. The Associate will be primarily directed toward the federal government sector, but will also be charged with developing business in the private sector, and building relationships with new partner organizations. The Associate will be expected to manage proposal development and submission for federal bids.
Key Responsibilities: Business Development with the US Federal Government
- Collaborating with senior management, including the Chief Executive Officer, Research Manager, and Vice President of Business Operations to identify and move forward new business opportunities.
- Prospecting for and analyzing solicitations (e.g., RFP, RFQ, RFI) in conjunction with other customer requirements, and determining appropriate response strategies.
- Managing all aspects of proposal development including proposal writing, editing, and production efforts from receipt of RFP through delivery.
- Coordinating efforts between Valens Global and partner organizations on proposals.
- Extracting critical information from staff necessary to develop technical, management, and past performance volumes.
- Providing detailed guidance to proposal writers/contributors and subcontractors.
- Ensuring proposal center processes are followed, standard style guide is used, and documents are submitted in accordance with established criteria.
- Communicating proposal-related requirements and their statuses with relevant executive team members.
- Monitoring amendments and modifications to solicitations.
- Developing business with new private clients.
- Managing partner relationships, and building relationships with new partner organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in Business Development in the sphere of homeland security and/or defense analysis/intelligence.
- Familiarity with the government grant-making/contracting pipeline process (from capture to submission) including familiarity with: GovWin or similar federal procurement platform; market and competitive intelligence research.
- Management, leadership, and project management experience.
- Excellent writing skills, strong ability to summarize data concisely in an effective, timely manner.
- Excellent communicator able to convey points persuasively.
- Demonstrated experience carrying out granular analysis either through publications or examples of client-based work.
- Academic and professional experience in counterterrorism, international relations, foreign policy, or Middle East/Africa Studies.
To apply for this position please send 1) a cover letter with expected salary, 2) resume, and 3) two references: one from a supervisor and one from someone you have supervised/managed (note: we only need people we can contact, and not written letters of reference) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Business Development Associate Application- Round 1.” Applications that do not have all 4 elements will be considered incomplete and immediately disqualified.
Valens Global LLC is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation benefits, social and recreational programs, and all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.