Job title: Analyst
Company: Valens Global LLC
Job duration: Immediate hire
Valens Global is a private firm based in Washington, D.C. The organization’s work focuses on a key challenge that is transforming the American security landscape and the world: the growing prominence of violent non- state actors, such as terrorist and insurgent groups, or cartels and gangs.
Valens is a young organization that is not afraid to think differently. We believe that the threats that various nation-states now face require innovative and rigorous analysis and products. Our analysts are fiercely independent, in command of granular details, and unafraid to challenge received wisdom.
Valens fosters an intellectually vibrant climate that emphasizes teamwork, empowerment at junior levels, and quality. We are proud of our record of consistently delivering products that represent the organization well and stand the test of time. At Valens, you would be part of a smart, talented, and confident team of people with interesting and diverse backgrounds, experiences, and outlooks. We think Valens is a great place to work, and we believe that you will too.
Valens Global boasts a stable of top-notch clients with whom we are proud to associate. Our clients include government agencies, tech firms, academic institutions, and corporations that need to better understand how violent non-state actors are changing the world, and how to safeguard their interests, assets, personnel, and values.
Valens Global is seeking to hire a full-time Analyst. Tasks performed will include conducting research, preparing research products (e.g., reports, presentations, memos, threat assessments), meeting with and briefing clients, and writing proposals for future projects.
The Analyst position provides individuals with a considerable amount of responsibility and autonomy. Candidates should be prepared to contribute immediately to the analysis team, and should be able to take the lead on a variety of research projects. Consistent with Valens Global’s organizational philosophy, Analysts are encouraged to challenge conventional wisdom, critically examine existing problems, and come up with new solutions to old challenges. Projects will be writing intensive. We want you to be able to produce polished, well-organized, thoughtful prose. We want you to be able to research. Analysts will be expected to consult a wide range of open-source materials, including primary and secondary sources, and social media data. We want you to come into your job knowing where to look.
Ideal candidates will be familiar with topics related to violent non-state actors, countering violent extremism (CVE), and the global jihadist movement. Ideal candidates should be strong public speakers, and feel comfortable and confident presenting their ideas and findings in front of a range of audiences. Ideal candidates should be able to oversee and lead a research project from inception to completion. Valens Global is a collaborative work environment, and analysts often play a key role in the proposal writing process. Therefore, in addition to subject matter expertise, we highly value knowledge and skills pertaining to research methods and project management that can be applied to a range of problem sets within the VNSA sphere.
- Candidate must possess strong critical thinking and analytic skills.
- Candidate must be a strong writer and editor, able to write for both academics and practitioners.
- Candidate must be a strong researcher, with the ability to accurately and efficiently gather quality information from a variety of sources.
- Candidate must have strong skills in interpersonal communication, organization, and working as part of a team.
- Previous experience designing, leading, and managing research projects involving quantitative and/or qualitative methods is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience writing federal grant proposals is highly desired.
- Ideal candidates should have a minimum of 2-3 years of experience working as a full-time researcher or analyst (experience on issues related to international politics or security is especially desired).
- Language skills are highly valued, particularly Arabic, French, and Spanish.
- Candidates who have conducted field research in the Middle East, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, and/or South and Central Asia are highly desired.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- At least two, and preferably three, references. Note: We are not looking for letters of recommendation, but rather people willing to serve as a reference for your qualifications who would be happy to talk to us about your candidacy.
- Two writing samples. One should be brief (5 pages or less) and display the applicant’s ability to convey expansive, complicated information concisely and clearly. The second sample should be longer (at least 10 pages) to showcase the applicant’s ability to conduct in-depth, nuanced research. Samples should include all relevant footnotes or citations.
To apply for this position please send a resume, cover letter and two references to email@example.com.