Business Operations Associate
Job title: Business Operations Associate
Company: Valens Global LLC
Job duration: Immediate hire
Valens Global is a private firm based in Washington, D.C. focused on the challenges posed by violent non-state actors, such as terrorist groups, drug cartels and insurgencies. Valens is a young organization that is not afraid to think differently. We believe that the significant sub-state threats we now face require organizations that are innovative, fiercely independent, in command of granular details, and able to blaze a wholly new path. These are Valens’s ideals.
Valens fosters an intellectually vibrant climate that emphasizes teamwork, empowerment at junior levels, and quality. We are proud of our record of consistently delivering products that surpass every client’s expectations and stand the test of time. At Valens, you will be part of a smart, talented, confident team of people with interesting and diverse backgrounds, experiences, and outlooks. We think Valens is a great place to work, and we believe that you will too.
Valens Global boasts a stable of clients with whom we love to work, and are proud to associate. Our clients include government agencies, academic institutions, tech firms, and corporations who need to better understand how violent non-state actors are changing the world in order to safeguard their interests, assets, personnel, and values.
Valens Global is looking for a Business Operations Associate who is passionate about harnessing talent to grow a business, creating solutions that encourage innovation, and employing entrepreneurship to change the national security field. This person will be at the helm of shaping our organizational trajectory by helping us create policies and procedures that reflect our company culture, as well as managing our talent acquisition. The Business Operations Associate will work closely with our team, partners, and clients to ensure smooth workflows related to project management, maintaining client relationships, and internal operations.
The Business Operations Associate will be responsible for coordinating and supporting business processes, office operations, and human resource activities, including the following:
- Managing Valens’s customer relationship management (CRM) system.
- Developing policies and procedures to support efficiency and growth, and ensure that the team is properly following established policies.
- Generating invoices and managing receivables, and working with Valens’s billing division to guarantee that all relevant contract details are in place.
- Reviewing new hire and intern applications, conducting interviews, and providing personnel recommendations.
- Managing company onboarding and offboarding tasks.
- Overseeing and developing Valens’s human resources practice, including helping to hone our employee evaluation system and professional development services (to get a sense of the ultimate vision for our HR division, see Work Rules! by Laszlo Bock, who served as Google’s Senior Vice President of People Operations).
- Providing program support, including tracking deliverables, project schedules, payments, and occasional outreach to clients.
- Supporting office-wide operations needs including reimbursements and payment forms, setting up meetings, etc.
- Managing company time keeping systems & task management, including reviewing timesheets, adding & archiving projects, etc.
- Periodically update company social media accounts, including Twitter and LinkedIn, as well as the company website.
- Assisting in keeping the company up-to-date on SAM.gov, FBO.gov, etc.
- Assisting in performing market research, and creating memos and client materials as requested.
This position has strong growth potential. The Business Operations Associate will play a key role in shaping business operations and employee professional growth for a highly successful company that is tackling some of the greatest challenges of our age.
Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing and communication skills. They must be highly organized, detail oriented, and be able to work effectively under pressure. Possible candidates will be expected to stay on top of deadlines and produce quality work products within tight time constraints. Candidates must feel comfortable working closely with management, clients, consultants, and interns.
- Strong interpersonal communication and organization skills.
- 4-year degree from an accredited institution, or equivalent experience.
- At least 2 years of professional experience is preferred, especially in a related field such as Business Management, Operations, Finance or HR.
- Analytical thinker who is able to grasp new subject matters quickly.
- Able to work well in a team or independently with little guidance.
- Clear communicator who feels comfortable working with and reaching out to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Ability to manage up and down to make sure deliverables are on track, policies are being followed, etc.
- Experience with project and task management tools (Trello, Asana, etc).
- Experience with government contracting highly desired.
To apply for this position please send a resume, cover letter and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org.