Job title: Fall 2018 Analysis Division Internship
Company: Valens Global
Job duration: Full-time
About Valens Global:
Valens Global is a private firm focused on understanding the challenges posed by terrorist groups and other violent non-state actors, and helping clients fashion creative solutions that can save lives and protect their interests. Valens is a young organization that is designed to embody principles of innovation and adaptability: It is self-consciously a start-up firm, and is not afraid to think differently. We believe that the world’s growing sub-state threats require a fiercely independent approach, rigor, and creativity. We have repeatedly challenged the field’s conventional wisdom, and have emerged with a strong track record.
Valens fosters an intellectually vibrant climate that emphasizes teamwork, transparency, meritocracy, accountability, and empowerment at junior levels. But above all else, we produce quality work. We are proud of our record of delivering products that exceed our clients’ expectations, and stand the test of time. At Valens, you would be part of a smart, talented, and confident team of people with interesting and diverse backgrounds, experiences, and outlooks. We think Valens is a great place to work, and we believe that you will too.
Valens Global boasts a stable of clients with whom we love to work, and are proud to associate. They include U.S. government agencies, tech firms, oil and gas companies, academic institutions, think tanks, and a host of others who need to better understand how violent non-state actors are changing the world—and how to safeguard their interests, assets, personnel, and values in light of these challenges.
The Valens internship program seeks to give interns a strong professional experience as part of a highly talented team. Our internship program is research-centric, giving our interns the opportunity provide research assistance and analysis on a range of projects, including threat assessments, briefings, and assignments relate to countering violent extremism (CVE). On an average day, the Valens intern team may track and record terrorist activity in a given region, provide research on a militant group’s operations in various theaters, or analyze jihadist social media accounts to extract developments and trends.
Over the course of the semester, interns will build skills in research methodology, open-source intelligence analysis, and analytic writing. Ideal candidates should be prepared to contribute immediately to the research team, and should be able to take the lead on a variety of research projects. Consistent with Valens Global’s organizational philosophy, interns are encouraged to challenge conventional wisdom, critically analyze existing problems, and come up with new solutions to old problems. Ideal candidates should have deep familiarity with topics related to violent non-state actors, CVE, and the global jihadist movement. Projects will be writing-intensive.
Interns will be expected to consult a wide range of open-source materials, including primary and secondary sources, and social media data. We want our interns to come into role knowing where to look. They must be organized and able to work effectively under pressure, and will be expected to stay on top of deadlines and produce quality work products within tight time constraints.
Interns should be able to commit to working 30-40 hours per week, and will receive a salary competitive with other policy internships. Valens Global’s head office is located in Washington, D.C., but work can be performed remotely.
- Possess strong critical thinking and analytic skills.
- Must have unparalleled attention to detail.
- Able to commit to a minimum of 30 hours per week.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Demonstrated interest in the study of violent non‐state actors.
- Proven ability to think creatively about complex problem sets.
- The ability to conduct research in a foreign language.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover letter. Note: Please include any qualitative coding experience in your cover letter.
- Resume or CV.
- At least two, and preferably three, references. Note: We are not looking for letters of recommendation, but rather people willing to serve as a reference for your qualifications who would be happy to talk to us about your candidacy.
- Two writing samples. One should be brief (5 pages or less) and displays the applicant’s ability to convey expansive, complicated information concisely and clearly. The second sample should be longer (at least 10 pages) to showcase the applicant’s ability to conduct in-‐depth, nuanced research on a topic. Samples should include all relevant footnotes or citations.
- Unofficial transcript copy.
Prospective candidates will be asked to complete a skills test prior to hiring.
Please send all application materials in a single PDF to email@example.com.
Valens Global LLC is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation benefits, social and recreational programs, and all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.