Job title: Research Project Intern
Company: Valens Global
Job duration: Summer Internship, full time
Location: Washington, D.C.
Deadline: March 15th
Start Date: May 31st or earlier if applicant is available
About Valens Global:
Valens Global is a private firm focused on understanding the challenges posed by terrorist groups and other violent non-state actors and helping clients fashion creative solutions that can save lives and protect their interests. Valens is a young organization designed to embody principles of innovation and adaptability: It is self-consciously a start-up firm and is not afraid to think differently. We believe the world’s growing sub-state threats require a fiercely independent approach, rigor, and creativity. We have repeatedly challenged the field’s conventional wisdom and have emerged with a strong track record.
Valens fosters an intellectually vibrant climate that emphasizes teamwork, transparency, meritocracy, accountability, and empowerment at junior levels. But above all else, we produce quality work. We are proud of our record of delivering products that exceed our clients’ expectations and stand the test of time. At Valens, you would be part of a smart, talented, and confident team of people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and outlooks. We think Valens is a great place to work, and we believe that you will, too.
Valens Global boasts a stable of clients with whom we love to work and are proud to associate. They include U.S. government agencies, tech firms, oil and gas companies, academic institutions, think tanks, and a host of others who need to better understand how violent non-state actors are changing the world, and how to safeguard their interests, assets, personnel, and values in light of these challenges.
Valens Global is looking for an intern who will work with the Analysis Division. Tasks performed may include conducting research, helping to draft written reports, and working closely with analysts on a major project for a U.S. government client. Candidates should be prepared to contribute immediately to the research team. Consistent with Valens Global’s organizational philosophy, interns are encouraged to challenge conventional wisdom, critically analyze existing problems, and come up with new solutions to old problems.
- Research and draft polished, well-organized, and thoughtful reports.
- Conduct research consulting a wide range of open-source materials, including primary and secondary sources and social media data.
- Think creatively and brainstorm new products with the team.
- Familiarity with topics related to violent non-state actors, the global jihadist movement, and transnational criminal organizations. While familiarity of all three is not a requirement, subject-matter knowledge is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working in research.
- Strong critical thinking and analytic skills.
- Strong writing capabilities
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication, organization, and working as part of a team.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- At least two, and preferably three, references. Note: We are not looking for letters of recommendation, but rather people willing to serve as a reference for your qualifications who would be happy to talk to us about your candidacy.
- Two writing samples. One should be brief (5 pages or less) and display the applicant’s ability to convey complicated information concisely and clearly. The second sample should be longer (at least 10 pages) to showcase the applicant’s ability to conduct in-depth, nuanced research. Both samples should include all relevant footnotes or citations. None of the writing samples should be co-authored or published.
- Unofficial transcript copy.
Prospective candidates will be asked to complete a writing skills test prior to hiring.
Please send all application materials in a single PDF to email@example.com.
Valens Global LLC is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation benefits, social and recreational programs, and all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.