Job title: Analyst
Company: Valens Global
Job duration: Full-time
Location: DC metro area or North Carolina’s Research Triangle area
Salary: Competitive, dependent on experience
Deadline: October 27th, 11:59pm EST
About Valens Global:
Valens Global is known for its rigorous research and straightforward analysis. Valens helps governments, private companies, and non-governmental organizations understand, visualize, and address the challenges posed by violent non-state actors (VNSAs), the adversarial nation-states that sponsor them, and other emerging threats. Valens seeks to raise the standard for the field through rigorous research and advanced methods of analysis within an adaptive organization that consistently and confidently produces innovative solutions.
Our risk assessments, forecasting, training, data collection, and strategic action plans help our clients understand and dynamically respond to the challenges posed by terrorists and other hostile actors. Valens Global boasts a stable of clients with whom we love to work, and are proud to associate. They include U.S. government agencies, tech firms, energy companies, academic institutions, think tanks, and a host of others who need to better understand how violent non-state actors are changing the world—and how to safeguard their interests, assets, personnel, and values in light of these challenges.
Valens fosters an intellectually vibrant climate that emphasizes teamwork, transparency, meritocracy, accountability, and empowerment at every level. Above all else, we produce quality work. We are proud of our record of delivering products that exceed our clients’ expectations and stand the test of time. At Valens, you will be part of a smart, talented, and confident team of people with interesting and diverse backgrounds, experiences, and outlooks. We think Valens is a great place to work, and we believe that you will, too.
Valens Global is looking for an Analyst who will be a part of the company’s Analysis Division. Tasks performed may include conducting research, preparing written reports, and managing projects. The Analyst position provides considerable responsibility and autonomy. Candidates should be prepared to contribute immediately, and should be able to take the lead on a variety of research projects. Consistent with Valens Global’s organizational philosophy, Analysts are encouraged to critically examine problems, challenge conventional wisdom, and devise innovative solutions to address complex issues.
- Produce polished, well-organized, and thoughtful reports.
- Conduct research on a wide range of topics and geographic regions, consulting a wide range of open-source materials, including primary and secondary sources, and social media data.
- Manage projects and interns, as well as relationships with clients.
- Be a creative thinker, and brainstorm ideas (including for proposals for future Valens projects) with the team.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of experience (inclusive of internships) working as a researcher on issues related to international politics or security, OR a Master’s degree in the field.
- Deep familiarity with one or more of the following topics: violent non-state actors, countering violent extremism (CVE), the global jihadist movement, or white supremacist violent extremism.
- Demonstrated experience working in research.
- Strong critical thinking and analytic skills.
- Strong writing and editing capabilities—able to write for both academics and practitioners.
- Strong skills in interpersonal communication, organization, and working as part of a team.
- Comfortable managing others.
- Valid indefinite U.S. work authorization.
- Advanced proficiency and ability to conduct research in French and/or Spanish; or fluency in Arabic.
- Demonstrated experience conducting quantitative research and analysis is desired.
- Experience conducting research in at least one of the following regions: the Middle East; Latin America; North Africa; the Horn of Africa; West Africa; South, Southeast, and Central Asia.
Required Application Materials:
- Cover letter.
- Resume or CV.
- Two unpublished (if possible) writing samples. One should be brief (5 pages or less) and display the applicant’s ability to convey complicated information concisely and clearly. The second sample should be longer (at least 10 pages) and showcase the applicant’s ability to conduct in-depth, nuanced research. Both samples should include all relevant footnotes or citations.
- At least two, and preferably three, references. Note: We are not looking for letters of recommendation, but rather people who are willing to serve as a reference for your qualifications, and who would be happy to talk to us about your candidacy.
- Unofficial transcript(s).
Prospective candidates will be asked to complete a skills test prior to hiring.
Please send all application materials in a single PDF to email@example.com.
Valens Global LLC is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation benefits, social and recreational programs, and all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.