Job title: Business Development Manager
Company: Valens Global, http://www.valensglobal.com
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Valens Global is a private firm focused on understanding and fashioning innovative responses to key twenty-first century challenges. The firm is best known for its deep understanding of the challenges posed by terrorist groups and other violent non-state actors, and helping clients fashion creative solutions that can save lives and protect their interests. Valens is designed to embody principles of innovation and adaptability: It is self-consciously a start-up firm, and is not afraid to think differently. We believe that the world’s growing sub-state threats require a fiercely independent approach, rigor, and creativity. We have repeatedly challenged the field’s conventional wisdom, and have emerged with a strong track record.
Valens fosters an intellectually vibrant climate that emphasizes teamwork, transparency, meritocracy, accountability, and empowerment at junior levels. But above all, we produce quality work. We are proud of our record of delivering products that exceed our clients’ expectations, and stand the test of time. At Valens, you would be part of a smart, talented, confident team of people with interesting and diverse backgrounds, experiences, and outlooks.
Valens Global boasts a stable of clients with whom we love to work, and are proud to associate. They include U.S. government agencies, tech firms, oil and gas companies, academic institutions, think tanks, and a host of others who need to better understand how violent non-state actors are changing the world—and how to safeguard their interests, assets, personnel, and values in light of these challenges. We think Valens is a great place to work, and we believe that you will too.
We are seeking a high-energy, extremely organized, and dynamic professional with strong business acumen to join our team. Your primary focus will be growing the company’s sales pipeline. You will be responsible for identifying, qualifying, and securing new business opportunities alongside Valens Global’s senior leadership team. You will be directed toward both the federal and private sector, and will be expected to build relationships with new partner organizations and clients.
Ideal candidates will be ready to take control of their career. We offer a fast-paced environment with a large degree of job autonomy and high potential for career growth. We are seeking relentless self-starters with the ability to see tasks through to completion.
Key Responsibilities: Prospect, Outreach, Organize, Collaborate
- Research and strategize how to best market Valens Global and its sister organization Valens Labs to potential partners, clients/customers, prospective investors, and other key stakeholders.
- Prospect for and analyze solicitations (e.g., RFP, RFQ, RFI) in conjunction with other customer requirements, and determine appropriate response strategies and deadlines.
- Research and provide the Valens team with regular updates on current and prospective clients.
- Prospect for key opportunities to promote Valens Global to target audiences, including public speaking opportunities and carefully targeted media outreach.
- Develop and maintain potential client pipelines and follow-up efforts in coordination with our senior team.
- Update and maintain the company’s CRM database, including updating client contact information and meeting notes as needed.
- Work on business development projects or research tasks as assigned.
- Monitor and maintain senior team calendars and contacts in CRM, as well as coordinate internal and external meetings for individuals at all levels.
- Ensure proposal processes are followed, the standard style guide is used, and documents are submitted in accordance with established criteria.
- Communicate proposal-related requirements and their statuses to relevant executive team members.
- Coordinate efforts between Valens Global and partner organizations on business development opportunities.
- Work with the analysis department to write proposals for public and private sector clients.
- Collaborate with senior management to identify and move forward with new business opportunities.
- Extract critical information from staff necessary to develop technical, management, and past performance volumes.
- 3-5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated experience with the government contracting pipeline process, including familiarity with GovWin or similar federal contracting opportunity platforms.
- Excellent writing skills, specifically a strong ability to summarize data concisely in an effective, timely manner.
- Excited to work hard in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment building a unique organization.
- Flexibility to manage moderate degree of multiple and changing priorities; resourcefulness in executing projects.
- Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented (attention to detail is critical to success in this position).
- Experience working in a start-up environment.
- Account management experience.
- Familiarity with CRM systems, preferably Pipedrive.
- Experience doing market and competitive intelligence research.
- Demonstrated experience carrying out granular analysis, either through publications or examples of client-based work.
- Academic and professional experience in counterterrorism, international relations, and/or foreign policy.
- Project management, and leadership, experience.
- Demonstrated experience in the sphere of homeland security, counterterrorism and/or defense analysis/intelligence.
To apply for this position, please send 1) a cover letter with salary expectations, 2) two 3-5 page writing samples, 3) a resume, and 4) two references (note: we only need people we can contact, and not written letters of reference) in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Business Development Manager Application – Round 1.” Applications that do not have all elements will be considered incomplete and immediately disqualified.
Valens Global LLC is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training and development, promotion, transfer, termination, layoff, compensation benefits, social and recreational programs, and all other conditions and privileges of employment in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.